Friday, November 13, 2009

6 months, 20 days, 100 applications




Inspired by an NPR letter quantifying a reader's job search, I figured the Lady could take stock:

# of Applications: 100

# of Interviews: 4

Earliest Interview Time: 7:30 am

Time I realized that job wasn't happening: 8:05 am

Time interview ended: 10:45 am

Oddest Job App: Referee Coordinator for AYSO

Didn't bother to finish the application for: The job at Otis School of Design that demanded skills in forklift driving.

Job I wish I got: Receptionist for covert, shady investment firm

Would this have been worth working for UCLA Basketball: "Ability to Maintain Composure in the face of resistance, indifference or hostility"

# of pies baked: 4

# of times I googled "Dr. Mario" to play online before closing the web browser in shame: 2

# of times I talked to Roomba: 5

# of times Roomba answered: 2

# of cycles of Beverly Hills 90210 that occur in 6 months, 20 days on SoapNet: 1.2

# of times Unemployment has asked me to list any job I've applied for: 0

Worst Domestic Patriarch suggestion: Be a Bus Driver

Best Domestic Patriarch suggestion:  Volunteer

# bottles of wine consumed: Too many to cite

Thing I still haven't done yet: hooked up the printer to my MAC.

Best 80s Name from Daytime Movies on E!: Sesame Plexor

Darkest TV Marathon preventing escape from House: MTV's Engaged and Underage

Moment of Most Severe Mental Breakdown:  Withholding possible unprecedented verbal abuse from the dolt at the City of Carson who claimed I was unqualified to be their part-time typist tied with Domestic Patriarch insisting I'm 4'5"

I'm proud I: finished a 10k and the triptych

I can't believe I: care about football and drink beer

Worst Netflix Movie Rented: Naked Lunch

Best Worst Netflix Movie Rented: MST3K Laserblast

Wisest Indirect Advice: You're going along, everything's fine, then BOOM! Life Kicks you in the Ass!

Worst Direct Advice: Something will work out!

I still need: a montage

Most Anal Retentive House Cleaning Task Performed: Cleaning the windowsills.

A strange bald man wearing loafers and no socks advised me recently to be enterprenurial when job hunting, and that the only real sport is baseball. He is completely wrong about baseball but he's probably right about the the hunt.

I do hope the next 6 months are fruitful, but in the meantime I've got a great cocktail of shame, pride, bad comedy, hearty libations and colorful company to help  Domestic Patriarch and myself enjoy our enterprenurial adventure.






3 comments:

  1. I was laughing so hard my sister asked me what I was reading. I wish you luck in your job search, but keep the funny coming. You never know, more and more people are being paid to write blogs that become published works of literature. You might be on to something here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on reaching your 100th application! Don't worry, I like talking to your Roomba too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wee Marie thanks spaz and nicole heartily for their encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete